Wednesday, October 26, 2011

War In The Heavens pt. 20: I think I can, I think I can...

Well, here I am. I have a rule set. OK, I have most of a rule set. I am foundering in two key areas. In order to explain what my issues with the game are I will go into some of the basics of the game. Then I will go into what my specific issues are and the ideas I have floating around to fix them.

So in War in the Heavens the players have four attributes, Love, Duty, Pride, and Wrath. In any given scene the players will use one of those attributes as the core roll. You have a strength which is listed at four dice and a weakness listed at zero. The other two attributes are at two dice. For each attribute you have between one and three Triggers. Triggers are the scenarios, people, and items that allow you to use the attribute in a scene. Your strength gets one trigger, your weakness gets three, and the rest gets two each.

And that right there my friends, that is wherein my problem lies. The triggers. I need them to be generic enough so that they can be used in several scenes(at least one scene a session). I also need them specific enough that they mean something. It is at this point that I am stymied.

My other issue is with the GM parts. I know what I want the game to do, I am just unsure on how to help the GM to bring that experience to the forefront. I have several game types. The adventures will start with the discovery of a new system through the jump gate. If the other stellar nations have not found it yet, then you try to bring under your nations control through missionaries, politics, or war(when necessary). If another nation is involved then it is down to the previous methods as well as espionage, and cold wars.

So how do I do that? Well that is the question, I guess. I do not have much on how to emphasize these aspects of the game. I need a way(or ways) to make this the central theme of the game. I will keep working on it, hopefully inspiration will strike.


No comments:

Post a Comment